• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mh333

What is the name of your state? Washington

In Sept. of 2001 my wife went to our primary care physician for an OB/GYN referral. We had just been married and our insurance had just changed. Neither of us had our ID cards. We saw the Dr., paid the copay and left. He did not give us a referral, stating that he couldn't until he had our insurance info. Fine, no big deal my wife and I are covered and we had a chance to meet out PCP for the first time.

I thought nothing of it until I received the bill in Oct of 2001. I called the Dr. office and was told to fax a copy of the ins. card. I did this shortly after getting off the phone. To make a long story short, the bill was not paid and went to collections. I called the billing dept at this Dr. office approx. 10 times and NEVER received a call back. The collection agency told me that my insurance wouldn't pay it and the insurance agency said "we will pay it", but we need more info from the Dr. office. Finally I talked to the collection agency on June 25th of 2002. I was informed that I was being sued for the bill. I called the insurance company again. Finally I talked with soemone that had an idea about what to do. I faxed them a copy of the bill and they sent it to be processed. This nice lady at Aetna called the collection agency and told them that the bill would be paid. The collection agency is now going to bill me for legal and processing fees. Is this right? I did everything I could do. I called, and called, but never received a call back from the Dr. office. If someone would have told me what I needed to do I would have done it much earlier. Do I have a leg to stand on if the collection agency charges me these fees?? Thanks in advance for any help. The bill was for $99. The legal and processing fees will be $200++.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">