• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sajoe

I'm looking for information of buying Legal Insurance for myself and the family.
I've experienced legal procedures against our familly interests before, and the cost to hire lawyer to defend ourself. I understand I could buy insurance protection with legal matters and I can have prepay legal plan which would provide legal protection when time of needs.

thanks to anyone could help with this information.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I have seen this prepay plans and I disagree with most of them. Odds are, you will not need that much legal help. Also, you will be purchasing from one specific firm or individual. God forbid you have one bad experience -- you must stay with them for the duration you signed or pay a penalty fee.

Plus, those lawyers may not be experts in the particular problem or issue you may have.

There are hundreds of alternatives out there for everyone to afford lawyers without high fees. You are the boss. Pick a lawyer by calling the BAr association and ask for low income help or lawyer referrals for specific problems.

Hope this helps.

W

want to settle in VA

Get a lawyer that you can afford. Wow I'm 4 for 4.

A

Attorney_Replogle

I must cordially disagree with Lawrat on this matter concerning pre-paid legal plans. The two plans that I am familiar with are 1) Legal Services Plan (hereafter LSP), and 2) Prepaid Legal Services Inc. (hereafter PPL). Concerning the use of plan attorneys PPL uses a large firm in all states in which it is available, whereas LSP uses individual attorneys closes to its member. With LSP, a covered member (you the client) can change attorneys at any time for any reason without any financial charges or reprisal by the plan (LSP). With PPL, a member can use another firm only if there is a conflict of interest with that firm, or the member reasonably can't work with any attorney of that firm, or that firm does not handle a given area of legal speciailization.

Another difference between the two is the monthly cost. LSP is about $10 a month compared to about $25 for PPL. Why the difference in monthly cost? Simple; LSP doesn't give you a certain number of additional free attorney hours per year just for being a member. On the other hand, if your legal matter is not covered under LSP's terms of coverage, you pay only $70 per hour for attorney time (for hourly billing). This is better than PPL's 25% off of the normal hourly billing rate of their attorneys.

LSP can be reached at 1-800-323-4620. PPL can be reached at 1-800-654-7757.

Finally, note that there is no such thing as legal insurance compared to say car insurance or home owners insurance, etc. The reason is that the state legislators believe that the existence of such insurance would have the negative effect of encouraging lawsuits. Thus, pre-paid legal plans are really a membership whose main value is access to legal represenation at a fraction of the cost along with certain legal matters covered for free.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

S

sajoe

Thanks Mark,
You've answered my question. I'll find out more, and will make my decision accordingly.
Thank you again.

F

Friend

BEWARE OF PRE-PAID LEGAL. Their plans are overpriced, are sold in a pyramid scheme with some con-men, who sucker in others to sell it. They earn about 90 cents on the dollar for the polices they sell using a multi-level marketing plan. The plans pay about 33 cents in benefits for each dollar of premium; use a captive law firm typically 100 or more miles away from you, and if it was health insurance it's like going to an HMO in another city.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Friend:
BEWARE OF PRE-PAID LEGAL. Their plans are overpriced, are sold in a pyramid scheme with some con-men, who sucker in others to sell it. They earn about 90 cents on the dollar for the polices they sell using a multi-level marketing plan. The plans pay about 33 cents in benefits for each dollar of premium; use a captive law firm typically 100 or more miles away from you, and if it was health insurance it's like going to an HMO in another city.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

There are plenty of "legitimate" pre-paid legal plans out there - - not merely pyramid schemes, as "Friend" points to. As in every business category, there are the good and the bad. A pre-paid legal plan may not be "right" for everyone, but for some, it's the ideal choice, and the American Bar Association gives their blessing.

That's my 2 cents.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

S

sajoe

Dear IAAL,

I valued your 2 cents greatly. Do you have any suggestion where I can call for more info ?

Thanks for quick respond.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sajoe:
Dear IAAL,

I valued your 2 cents greatly. Do you have any suggestion where I can call for more info ?

Thanks for quick respond.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I do not make recommendations for any kind of company on this site. However, over the months of "working with" Mark Replogle at this site, I have come to respect his opinions and views. If Mark says it, you can "take it to the bank." You can follow his directions, or you can check out numerous other Pre-Paid legal programs on the Net by using your "search engine", typing "Pre-Paid Legal Services", and hitting the <Enter> key. You'll come up with innumerable sites to study and choose from.

Thanks for the compliment.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">