• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am located in NY, but not NYC. I am trying to change my name (legally) and found resources for the forms but I can't tell if it is only for NYC residents.

This is the resource for name change forms I found: Name Change Forms & Requirements

Name Change Order is filled out by Clerk; I just fill out the Petition, correct?

In the matter of the application of - is that where I write my current name?

The first sentence; "The Petition of __________________ respectfully shows this court:" (Is this where I write my current name?)

If so, in the PDF it says under #1. The petitioner resides at No. (STREET ADDRESS), in the ______ of ______________, county of COUNTY NAME, and has resided...

What goes in the two blank spots?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential