• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
I have a nephew who is 16 and he just found out he is going to be a father in May (when the baby is due). My question is, is he legally obligated to pay for hospital bills until paternity is established? The girlfriend's mother is already asking for half of her daughter's hospital bills to be paid by his parents. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

idk about tx but in fl if she is on gov. assistance like medicaid he could have to re-emburse the state( thats what i was told by dcf ) if texas has a child sup enforcement # i would call n ask them

BelizeBreeze

usedstepmom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
I have a nephew who is 16 and he just found out he is going to be a father in May (when the baby is due). My question is, is he legally obligated to pay for hospital bills until paternity is established? The girlfriend's mother is already asking for half of her daughter's hospital bills to be paid by his parents. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Tell your nephew not to give the girl or her mother ANYTHING but to start putting money aside in case the child is his. Then also tell him not to sign anything and immediately petition the court for a paternity test.

Once there is a judicial finding of paternity THEN he can file for visitation and custody but he will also, very likely, be liable for child support.

Also have him or his parent consult with a family law attorney.

BelizeBreeze

newmommy20 said:
idk about tx but in fl if she is on gov. assistance like medicaid he could have to re-emburse the state( thats what i was told by dcf )
Solely under the fact presented in this post, that is incorrect.

NotSoNew

my boyfriends ex was on medicaid for her pregnancy and the state paid for her hospital bill, boyfriend did not have to pay her, the state or anyone back for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">