• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal options for non-resident to pursue small claims case against US-based agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FairPlayDE

I'm looking for some advice on a legal matter I'm facing with an Agency from Missouri or Kansas (According to the Better Business Bureau, the agency is based in Kansas, but their documents state they are in Kansas City, Missouri.)

Unfortunately, they did not deliver as promised, so we agreed on a 50% refund. However, it's been over five weeks, and despite signing a refund and non-disparagement agreement, they still haven't paid me back and they have not responded to my emails for more than 6 weeks.

To make things worse, I'm not a US citizen or resident, and I'm not currently located in the country, so it's tough for me to handle this on my own. I'd love to file a small claims court case, but it's not possible for me to do so as a non-resident while being abroad. At least, that is my information.

The amount in question is only $2500, but it's a lot of money for me, and I can't afford to spend a lot on legal fees. I recently found out that someone else filed a complaint about this agency, and it seems like they may be engaging in bad business practices.

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

quincy

I'm looking for some advice on a legal matter I'm facing with an Agency from Missouri or Kansas (According to the Better Business Bureau, the agency is based in Kansas, but their documents state they are in Kansas City, Missouri.)

Unfortunately, they did not deliver as promised, so we agreed on a 50% refund. However, it's been over five weeks, and despite signing a refund and non-disparagement agreement, they still haven't paid me back and they have not responded to my emails for more than 6 weeks.

To make things worse, I'm not a US citizen or resident, and I'm not currently located in the country, so it's tough for me to handle this on my own. I'd love to file a small claims court case, but it's not possible for me to do so as a non-resident while being abroad. At least, that is my information.

The amount in question is only $2500, but it's a lot of money for me, and I can't afford to spend a lot on legal fees. I recently found out that someone else filed a complaint about this agency, and it seems like they may be engaging in bad business practices.

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Your first task is to learn their actual location. Kansas City straddles the Missouri and Kansas border.

FairPlayDE

Your first task is to learn their actual location. Kansas City straddles the Missouri and Kansas border.
You are right. Thanks. I did research and found the exact address, but I am still confused.
The address is:
KANSAS CITY, MO 64106

However, it is listed in the registry of the State of Kansas, not Missouri. Found it on kansas.gov

quincy

You are right. Thanks. I did research and found the exact address, but I am still confused.
The address is:
KANSAS CITY, MO 64106

However, it is listed in the registry of the State of Kansas, not Missouri. Found it on kansas.gov
The 64106 zip code is for Jackson County in Missouri. You can hire an attorney in Jackson County and have the attorney send a letter for you, encouraging the agency to pay the $2500. A letter from a local attorney might lead to better results than a letter sent by you from another country.

Here is a link to the Missouri Bar’s MissouriLawyersHelp website with information on finding a lawyer to assist you:
https://missourilawyershelp.org

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">