• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Rights to 40 hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

I work for a corporate chain of restaurants owned by one company. And they make good money but apparently too greedy to pay over time, they basically frown on anyone even touching 40 hours.

Now, I am able to see my net pay via their website today before Friday's check. When I clocked out Sunday I had reached 42 hours 52 min. Thats 2:52 over time. But the website print out says 41:27. Now whether this a technical error, is it possible (LEGALLY) for them to go in to their computer and subtract time to lower my over time? Although only the payroll dept is capable of this in Florida, not directly in the office/location I work in.

Also do they have a legal right prevent me from reaching 40 hours by manipulating a schedule however they choose. I am a full time worker, always have been.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a bona fide contract which specifies otherwise, you do not have a legal right to work 40 hours. They can schedule you for the number of hours they wish you to work; no more, no less. They have no legal obligation to let you work any particular number of hours.

They do, however, have to pay you for the actual time you WORKED. (Don't take this personally - it's what I tell everyone who asks this question.) If you clocked in at, say, 8:00 and went straight to work, they have to pay you from 8:00. But if you clocked in at 8:00 and then put away your coat, got coffee, checked your personal e-mail, chatted with a co-worker, and only at 8:15 started working, they could LEGALLY change your time card to say you started work at 8:15.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">