• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladybug33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am in Texas, my husband in Oregon. We have been separated for 9 months. I am considering filing for a legal separation to protect myself from my husband taking my assets, but I may later file for divorce. I have heard there is no legal separation in Texas, but there is in Oregon.

1. Can I even file for legal separation in Oregon if I have been living in Texas for the last 9 months? Do I have to live in Oregon to file for this?

2. We have a child, and I have heard that the jurisdiction of any divorce proceedings take place where the mother and child have been living for 6 months. If I later file for divorce in Texas, would a legal separation in Oregon complicate the divorce proceedings?

Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am in Texas, my husband in Oregon. We have been separated for 9 months. I am considering filing for a legal separation to protect myself from my husband taking my assets, but I may later file for divorce. I have heard there is no legal separation in Texas, but there is in Oregon.

1. Can I even file for legal separation in Oregon if I have been living in Texas for the last 9 months? Do I have to live in Oregon to file for this?
No. As long as one spouse is a resident of the state, either party can file for legal separation.
Oregon State Marital Separation Laws | eHow.com

2. We have a child, and I have heard that the jurisdiction of any divorce proceedings take place where the mother and child have been living for 6 months. If I later file for divorce in Texas, would a legal separation in Oregon complicate the divorce proceedings?

Thank you.
No. It would not have much impact on the divorce proceedings - except that the divorce would be simpler because all the property division stuff would be out of the way.

LdiJ

No. As long as one spouse is a resident of the state, either party can file for legal separation.
Oregon State Marital Separation Laws | eHow.com

No. It would not have much impact on the divorce proceedings - except that the divorce would be simpler because all the property division stuff would be out of the way.
Of course, you could also just go ahead and file for divorce in TX and settle everything at once, including child custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">