• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal seperation: OH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdrew1967

What is the name of your state? OH
My wife and I made up a document that spelled out all the important stuff such as Child Support, Visitation, Division of Property/Bills etc.

We both signed it and had it notorized. It has not been filed with anyone yet. My question(s) are, is it legal yet? Does it have to be filed with anyone? Can she attempt to get the courts to modify it in any way prior to divorce? I was more than gracious in all the areas mentioned. I either met of exceeded what I have found for Child Support Guidelines, but did not offer to pay Spousal Support.

BelizeBreeze

jdrew1967 said:
What is the name of your state? OH
My wife and I made up a document that spelled out all the important stuff such as Child Support, Visitation, Division of Property/Bills etc.

We both signed it and had it notorized. It has not been filed with anyone yet. My question(s) are, is it legal yet?
Nope.
Does it have to be filed with anyone?
yep
Can she attempt to get the courts to modify it in any way prior to divorce?
Yep
I was more than gracious in all the areas mentioned. I either met of exceeded what I have found for Child Support Guidelines, but did not offer to pay Spousal Support.
Well then what are you worried about unless you make a CRAPLOAD of money, she never worked and only took care of you and now you expect her to go fend for herself.

Get the point? What you have now means nothing to the courts. It MAY or May Not be followed. However, at this point you are NOT legally separated as that requires filing for Legal Separation.

So, what's your next move?

jdrew1967

What do I need to FILE?

Ok, understand that I am not Legally Seperated. Can I use the document that we made and File it or do I need another form? Who with.... Clerk of Courts?

LdiJ

jdrew1967 said:
Ok, understand that I am not Legally Seperated. Can I use the document that we made and File it or do I need another form? Who with.... Clerk of Courts?

Yes, you can use the document that the two of you signed when you file.

What you do..it you take yourself down to your local courthouse and ask for the forms needed to file for divorce. Those forms will include instructions. Your agreement would be an attachment to the forms that you will need to fill out and file.

Or...you hire an attorney to handle things for you and you give the attorney that agreement.

Or, you go to your state government website and see if the forms are available online.....or you look for a DIY kit for your state.

Personally....I would recommend getting an attorney. Although it can be done, its usually not wise to deal with property settlements and child issues without one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">