• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to give OK sign to cops?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylene

It's been pretty widely litigated to give any 'sign' you want to police officers.

I would love you to flesh out what you are asking about juuuust a bit more.

CdwJava

For most of us the "OK" sign is still just that: OK. Just about every symbol or expression one can think of has been coopted by someone for something abhorrent (the Christian cross, the US flag, etc.). Other symbols have been inferred as something bad even when they have not been so readily misused in such a way (e.g. the blue line flag symbol). I'm too old to just chuck everything ands wring my hands concerned I might offend someone. So if you offer me the OK symbol, I may well give it right back to you with a grin!

quincy

For most of us the "OK" sign is still just that: OK. Just about every symbol or expression one can think of has been coopted by someone for something abhorrent (the Christian cross, the US flag, etc.). Other symbols have been inferred as something bad even when they have not been so readily misused in such a way (e.g. the blue line flag symbol). I'm too old to just chuck everything ands wring my hands concerned I might offend someone. So if you offer me the OK symbol, I may well give it right back to you with a grin!
Almost any gesture can be found offensive if made with ill intent. The OK gesture is just one more.

A gesture made in all innocence is not likely to offend anyone.

CdwJava

Almost any gesture can be found offensive if made with ill intent. The OK gesture is just one more.

A gesture made in all innocence is not likely to offend anyone.
You'd think. And in a rational world, that'd probably be true. I work at a University ... someone's mere presence can offend people here. (No, I m NOT kidding.)

CdwJava

Which as a cop may get you in trouble. At least it has others.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/397509-alabama-police-officers-suspended-for-making-hand-gesture

And that was in the not too terribly PC Alabama. God only knows what your California agency might do. :cautious:
Failure to use the proper gender pronoun or mode of address can get you in trouble out here. It's safer to simply use their "preferred name" when speaking to someone, or using a lot of "you" and avoiding any pronouns that can be interpreted to have gender to them. It truly has become upside down world out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">