• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Poona

Does a Will have to be witnessed in the State Of California ?
My late American husband left a Will in the USA stating how his assets should be split .The will was typed with just his signature on it and no witnesses .I am his Thai Wife of 17 years and feel I been cheated since he has left over 300,000 to his sister and nieces and myself only 100,000 .

HRZ

Generally It means the witnesses must witness the actual signing of the will and sign the will As well.

If you believe the will defective I suggest you act quickly and seek administration under intestacy claiming there is no valid will ..or otherwise promptly challenge it...if you wait and things get distributed to others it may be darn hard to round it back up

HRZ

Caution ..where was husband when will was made ...it might be valid where made ..and honored in CA

Dandy Don

I'm sorry that you received less, but the fact is that he has the right to decide to whom and how much he wants to leave his money to.
Get a probate attorney so you can be advised about other assets you have a legal right to receive as a surviving spouse--there may be real estate, pension benefits, life insurance, etc.

HRZ

If the will is not valid per CA law then it is not valid and intestacy applies and OP probably gets it all under same ....she needs legal advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">