• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of using fake protective order to get info removed from county website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alcyone

I live in the USA.

The county that i live in plasters my name and address online which is readily available to anyone who wants to look it up without any fees or hassle. There, they can see my full name, address, property deed and other information. I realize this is public knowledge, so please don't lecture me. I simply want a certain degree of privacy and I don't think that's unreasonable. I understand there are other sites that do this but I've managed to get removed from all, YES ALL, of them.

Can a qualified lawyer or professional please give me UNCONJECTURED, factual advise on the legality of using a fake protective order/restraining order to get removed from the couty site under the following:

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), 15 U.S.C. 1681 et seq., as amended, an individual may opt-out of having certain of their information included in Data if one of these conditions exists:

you are a state, local or federal law enforcement officer or public official and your position exposes you to a threat of death or serious bodily harm;
you are a victim of identity theft;
you are at risk of physical harm;
you have evidence the record is incorrect or expunged.

I have contacted the county assessor a while back and they won't remove my information unless I meet the above criteria.

Is it legal and can I get arrested/charged for sending a county official a fake restraining order drafted with software; in order to appear to meet one of the above criteria and trick them into removing my online information? I understand it's sleazy and unethical, but as stated earlier, I'm not looking for a lecture or opinion. I'm looking for strict facts on this.

Please don't respond if you're not qualified to answer this question or if you simply want to give an opinion on the matter.

My assumption is that it's legal because I'm not signing anything stating the information is factual and I'm not trying to receive any benefits. But I'm not a lawyer so I want to double check.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

The county that i live in plasters my name and address online which is readily available to anyone who wants to look it up without any fees or hassle. There, they can see my full name, address, property deed and other information. I realize this is public knowledge, so please don't lecture me. I understand there are other sites that do this but I've managed to get removed from all of them.

Can a qualified lawyer or professional please give me UNCONJECTURED, factual advise on the legality of using a fake protective order/restraining order to get removed from the site under the following:

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), 15 U.S.C. 1681 et seq., as amended, an individual may opt-out of having certain of their information included in Data if one of these conditions exists:

you are a state, local or federal law enforcement officer or public official and your position exposes you to a threat of death or serious bodily harm;

Is this legal? I understand it's sleazy and unethical, but as stated earlier, I'm not looking for a lecture or opinion. I'm looking for strict facts on this.

Thanks in advance.
Falsifying a document such as that is against the law. Period and good day.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

The county that i live in plasters my name and address online which is readily available to anyone who wants to look it up without any fees or hassle. There, they can see my full name, address, property deed and other information. I realize this is public knowledge, so please don't lecture me. I simply want a certain degree of privacy and I don't think that's unreasonable. I understand there are other sites that do this but I've managed to get removed from all, YES ALL, of them.

Can a qualified lawyer or professional please give me UNCONJECTURED, factual advise on the legality of using a fake protective order/restraining order to get removed from the couty site under the following:

I have contacted the county assessor a while back and they won't remove my information unless I meet the above criteria.

Is it legal and can I get arrested/charged for sending a county official a fake restraining order drafted with software; in order to appear to meet one of the above criteria and trick them into removing my online information? I understand it's sleazy and unethical, but as stated earlier, I'm not looking for a lecture or opinion. I'm looking for strict facts on this.

Please don't respond if you're not qualified to answer this question or if you simply want to give an opinion on the matter.

My assumption is that it's legal because I'm not signing anything stating the information is factual and I'm not trying to receive any benefits. But I'm not a lawyer so I want to double check.

Thanks in advance.

Of course it's not legal.

By all means, go and pay an attorney what you've been told here for free ... but do us a favor and record his laughter so we can hear it? :cool:

alcyone

Understood gents. Thank you for the free advice. What is the likelihood that something like this would be prosecuted? Not that I'm suggesting it's worth the risk.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Understood gents. Thank you for the free advice. What is the likelihood that something like this would be prosecuted? Not that I'm suggesting it's worth the risk.
Oh, the irony when your name is made available to the public through criminal court records....

Don't you think they have the means to check the validity of a protective order?

alcyone

Oh, the irony when your name is made available to the public through criminal court records....

Don't you think they have the means to check the validity of a protective order?
My name isn't available through criminal court records because I don't have any criminal record. Read original posts before responding.

alcyone

Shadowbunny was referring (and amusingly so) to the public records that would be generated by your arrest/charge/conviction for falsifying the restraining order document.

The irony is that, should you do as you suggested in an effort to protect your privacy, you likely would generate a criminal record that would be accessible to the public. AND you still would not have your information removed from the county website.

I hope, by the way, that alcyone (or a variation thereof) is not your real name.
Why would you "hope" that considering I haven't done anything yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which does not change the fact that a fake protective order would be exposed as such before the cyber-ink was dry.

LdiJ

Whether its prosecuted or not, it won't work. Don't you realize that they verify stuff like that?

xylene

You are a fibber about the "ALL" stuff.

You don't deserve any privacy in your public records either. Not even if you had an order of protection.

Mass_Shyster

I live in the USA.
Thanks. That narrows it down to 3,007 counties. Don't be surprised if I don't have time to research the Recording Acts used in all of those counties.

Can a qualified lawyer or professional please give me UNCONJECTURED, factual advise
You realize that legal advice is nothing more than an opinion, don't you?

My CONJECTURE is that there may be a statute prohibiting providing false information to whatever entity maintains your land records. Since there are 3007 possible answers, conjecture is the best I can come up with.

Also note that removing your name from the public records will make it pretty difficult to prove ownership when you go to sell your land.

victim-abuser

Why don't you speak to an attorney and see if it's viable to put your property into a trust or an llc, you can maybe sell your property to your newly created business not sure though if it will remove all the info you desire. but instead of trying to fake it, find out if there is another legal method to own your property under a different name. An llc perhaps, i don't know.. haven't looked at property records in years.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Why don't you speak to an attorney and see if it's viable to put your property into a trust or an llc, you can maybe sell your property to your newly created business not sure though if it will remove all the info you desire. but instead of trying to fake it, find out if there is another legal method to own your property under a different name. An llc perhaps, i don't know.. haven't looked at property records in years.
Please don't revive old threads. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">