• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally Investing Other People's Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hartman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN
Hello, I have been trading in currencies for quite some time now. I primarily trade the EUR/USD pair. Over the past few months, I have started to teach my strategy/rules to friends to show them the potential. Several have come to me and just asked me to do this for them for a fee.

I initially declined but have decided that it may be a good idea. The fee would only 25% of profits. This would be very similar to a hedge fund structure. What I would like to know is this something I can do simply be establishing an LLC or do I need to go through the steps to form a hedge fund? I certainly hope not. I have six firm commitments and would like to launch this on January 1, 2012.

Thank you in advance for your guidance on this matter.

hartman

Are you certain?

I don't believe hedge funds are required to have any specific license to invest money for others. I also think they are established in that way to avoid the regulations and filing requiriements that Mutual Funds are subject to.

Since I will not be investing in any stocks (securities), I don't believe I need a series 7 or 63. What specific license do I need?

Thank you,
Payman

hartman

These six individuals would not be suckers. That's for certain. My personal account has grown from $10K to $76K in a little over 2 months. I can understand and appreciate your skepticism. I am simply looking for the best way to structure a company to allow others to have me invest their money utilizing the same strategies I implement in my own account with me charging a % of profits.

Hot Topic

These six individuals would not be suckers. That's for certain. My personal account has grown from $10K to $76K in a little over 2 months. I can understand and appreciate your skepticism. I am simply looking for the best way to structure a company to allow others to have me invest their money utilizing the same strategies I implement in my own account with me charging a % of profits.

Anyone who makes a statement like, "My personal account has grown from $10K to $76K in a little over 2 months" in this economy has a bridge for sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">