• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally is there anything I can do about my ex spreading rumors about me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TJames55

First of all, wasn’t sure which category this would fall under. So I chose this one. Secondly let me give some more detail so you understand that it goes beyond just spreading rumors. My ex and I have not been together for almost two years now. I’ve never tried to bother her in any way, text, phone, work, home. She is the one that broke up with me and threw myself and my daughter out of the house we had together in the dead of winter two weeks before Christmas in 2016. However from the moment she ended the relationship she has made claims that I was violent and abusive with her and her kids, I cheated on her, I never helped out financially. She even lies so much that she even lies about when she broke up with me. I’ve also had a 30 year veteran counselor tell me that she’s a narcissist a sociopath and a pathological liar. Anyhow, almost two years later and myself and my current girlfriend are still being harassed because of my ex’s lies. There have been multiple times I have been out with my daughter and have been harassed and threatened because of the rumors my ex had spread. My girlfriend posts pictures of us on Facebook and has been harassed via text message, phone calls, Facebook, and also in person. Most recently just yesterday. And it’s always “you need to get away from him he’s violent and abusive, he’ll cheat on you” it’s always because of the rumors my ex has spread. Unfortunately when a woman claims violence and abuse no one would ever dare question. But it is completely untrue. I was raised by my mother and I have never ever put my hands on a woman a dang sure have never put my hands on children. So legally is there anything I can do against her? Harassment charges? Defamation of character? I have had to resign from one job already because of this. Her and I worked together while we were together and after she ended it and started spreading rumors about me I was pulled in by the center manager and was basically told to quit or get fired because of her. I live in Utah.

Last edited:

xylene

What state is this occurring in?

Consider to move out of the area. Associate with different people.

LdiJ

I agree that moving out of the area may be your only viable solution. Its a "he said she said" situation which makes it difficult to prove the truth of a matter.

quincy

First of all, wasn’t sure which category this would fall under. So I chose this one. Secondly let me give some more detail so you understand that it goes beyond just spreading rumors. My ex and I have not been together for almost two years now. I’ve never tried to bother her in any way, text, phone, work, home. She is the one that broke up with me and threw myself and my daughter out of the house we had together in the dead of winter two weeks before Christmas in 2016. However from the moment she ended the relationship she has made claims that I was violent and abusive with her and her kids, I cheated on her, I never helped out financially. She even lies so much that she even lies about when she broke up with me. I’ve also had a 30 year veteran counselor tell me that she’s a narcissist a sociopath and a pathological liar. Anyhow, almost two years later and myself and my current girlfriend are still being harassed because of my ex’s lies. There have been multiple times I have been out with my daughter and have been harassed and threatened because of the rumors my ex had spread. My girlfriend posts pictures of us on Facebook and has been harassed via text message, phone calls, Facebook, and also in person. Most recently just yesterday. And it’s always “you need to get away from him he’s violent and abusive, he’ll cheat on you” it’s always because of the rumors my ex has spread. Unfortunately when a woman claims violence and abuse no one would ever dare question. But it is completely untrue. I was raised by my mother and I have never ever put my hands on a woman a dang sure have never put my hands on children. So legally is there anything I can do against her? Harassment charges? Defamation of character? I have had to resign from one job already because of this. Her and I worked together while we were together and after she ended it and started spreading rumors about me I was pulled in by the center manager and was basically told to quit or get fired because of her. I live in Utah.
You can speak with a defamation lawyer in Utah to determine if what has been said about you can sufficiently support a defamation lawsuit.

Here is a link to Utah jury instructions for a defamation claim (what needs to be proved): http://www.utcourts.gov/utc/muji-comment/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2016/06/MUJI-Defamation-Instructions.pdf

HRZ

Unfortunately if stuff on social media gets under your skin or your so called friends respond to the social garbage she posts then under today's technology your Ex can throw electronic mud from 1000 miles away just as well as 50 miles away ...and seemingly she knows how to throw mud ....may well make sense to discuss options with a UT attorney who represents plaintiff side of such mud feats.

quincy

A lawyer who specializes in defamation law can easily represent either a plaintiff or a defendant in a defamation action.

xylene

A defamation action won't stop the community of people who already believe the ex and willingly perpetuate the rumors and act on her behalf to harass the OP and his gf in public and online.

In fact it could easily make it worse.

quincy

Possibly.

It is a legal option to consider, though, if TJames is looking for a legal option.

And, if the statements made about TJames are affecting his reputation to the extent that he is losing jobs, it could be a smart claim to pursue.

xylene

Possibly.

It is a legal option to consider, though, if TJames is looking for a legal option.

And, if the statements made about TJames are affecting his reputation to the extent that he is losing jobs, it could be a smart claim to pursue.
He can't sue the company he voluntarily quit.

He'll find it impossible to sue online randos who commented on his gf's pictures.

As he outlines it he may not even be able to establish the ex is causing the reputational injury.
And he may have statute of limitation issues as well.

quincy

He can't sue the company he voluntarily quit.

He'll find it impossible to sue online randos who commented on his gf's pictures.

As he outlines it he may not even be able to establish the ex is causing the reputational injury.
And he may have statute of limitation issues as well.
Possibly on all of the above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">