• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelarn120

What is the name of your state?Illinois
My husband was getting divorced from wife #1. The judge granted the divorce the day before our wedding; however my husband never paid the court costs or fees to have the ruling entered. IS our marriage legal?

FlyingRon

The divorce was effective on the date the judge decreed it. I'm not even sure how he got as far as he did without paying the other costs. The filing and notification fees are usually paid before the case will be heard.

You are legally married. If you want out, you'll have to find another way (divorce most likely).

LdiJ

The divorce was effective on the date the judge decreed it. I'm not even sure how he got as far as he did without paying the other costs. The filing and notification fees are usually paid before the case will be heard.

You are legally married. If you want out, you'll have to find another way (divorce most likely).
I am not entirely sure that you are correct. If nobody ever wrote up the divorce decree and got a judge's signature the divorce might not have been final.

Running it be an attorney in the state that had jurisdiction would probably be a good idea.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state?Illinois
My husband was getting divorced from wife #1. The judge granted the divorce the day before our wedding; however my husband never paid the court costs or fees to have the ruling entered. IS our marriage legal?
If the ruling was never journalized and filed then he is still married. Why did you get married so quickly?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">