• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon law.or other options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bellayubari

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hi, i recently purchased a used car from a dealer on 3-17-2017. i went through a credit union to get a 10,000 dollar auto loan to purchase it from the dealer. The dealer sold it to me as is but offered me the option of buying a third party warranty which i did . The car ran great until a few days after i gave the check to the dealer. Check engine light is on and off. The code read p0008 which is linked to a timing chain issue. I contacted the dealer to see about fixing it and he wont do anything because hes claiming he sold me the car "wholesale" and any repairs would come out of my own pocket. I dont think its fair because i wouldnt have gotten the car had i known about the issues as the light wasnt on when i got it. I looked into my warranty and repairs are covered but only after 30 days and 500 miles on it. I have put over 500 miles on it within the couple of weeks ive had it but i havent reached the 30 days. The dealer just keeps apologizing but is offering no compensation or help even though he sold it to me with a problem that i wasnt aware of. And i dont want to keep driving it but i have no choice because i work two jobs. am i covered under missouris lemon law? What are my other options?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hi, i recently purchased a used car from a dealer on 3-17-2017. i went through a credit union to get a 10,000 dollar auto loan to purchase it from the dealer. The dealer sold it to me as is but offered me the option of buying a third party warranty which i did . The car ran great until a few days after i gave the check to the dealer. Check engine light is on and off. The code read p0008 which is linked to a timing chain issue. I contacted the dealer to see about fixing it and he wont do anything because hes claiming he sold me the car "wholesale" and any repairs would come out of my own pocket. I dont think its fair because i wouldnt have gotten the car had i known about the issues as the light wasnt on when i got it. I looked into my warranty and repairs are covered but only after 30 days and 500 miles on it. I have put over 500 miles on it within the couple of weeks ive had it but i havent reached the 30 days. The dealer just keeps apologizing but is offering no compensation or help even though he sold it to me with a problem that i wasnt aware of. And i dont want to keep driving it but i have no choice because i work two jobs. am i covered under missouris lemon law? What are my other options?
Missouri's lemon law applies to new cars only so, before purchasing a used car, you should have the vehicle inspected by your own trusted mechanic. I am thinking you probably didn't do this.

Here is a link to Missouri's lemon laws (use the links at the top to work from 407.560 to 407.579): http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/40700005601.html

I am not seeing that you have much recourse other than to pay for repairs, this if the dealer won't cover the issue and your warranty doesn't.

adjusterjack

I dont think its fair because i wouldnt have gotten the car had i known about the issues as the light wasnt on when i got it.
Everybody says that. It's absolutely meaningless. I wouldn't have gotten married if I'd known that my wife would turn out to be a lunatic.

I looked into my warranty and repairs are covered but only after 30 days and 500 miles on it.
Should have read that before you bought it.

What are my other options?
Wait until the 30 days are up and hope that you haven't destroyed your engine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's entirely possible that the problem that is causing the P0008 code will have a very simple fix. It sounds like it's intermittent at this point. I doubt that engine damage will occur (but it's possible.) As suggested, you should wait for two weeks until the warranty kicks in. Also, double-check your warranty for preexisting condition exclusions.

Bellayubari

Everybody says that. It's absolutely meaningless. I wouldn't have gotten married if I'd known that my wife would turn out to be a lunatic.

Should have read that before you bought it.

Wait until the 30 days are up and hope that you haven't destroyed your engine.
ok i realize my negligence in delving deeper into the warranty stipulations, however this was from a dealer i thought i could trust as ive gotten used cars from him before. He also had me under the impression that the warranty was thru him(he never told me it was third party) and started 1000 miles after the purchase date (he asked if i wanted to buy the warranty, told me what it covered and when,and if anything went wrong he would take care of it and i agreed).it wasnt until a few days ago when i got my title from him That he gave me my paperwork for the warranty and i read it and found this out.

But thanks for the response and no thanks for the snarky remarks...

Bellayubari

It's entirely possible that the problem that is causing the P0008 code will have a very simple fix. It sounds like it's intermittent at this point. I doubt that engine damage will occur (but it's possible.) As suggested, you should wait for two weeks until the warranty kicks in. Also, double-check your warranty for preexisting condition exclusions.
Thanks for your help, it also didnt say anything about pre-existing conditions in the exclusions portion of the warranty. The car was also passed for safety and emissions thru the dealer, go figure. Lol

Zigner

ok i realize my negligence in delving deeper into the warranty stipulations, however this was from a dealer i thought i could trust as ive gotten used cars from him before. He also had me under the impression that the warranty was thru him(he never told me it was third party) and started 1000 miles after the purchase date (he asked if i wanted to buy the warranty, told me what it covered and when,and if anything went wrong he would take care of it and i agreed).it wasnt until a few days ago when i got my title from him That he gave me my paperwork for the warranty and i read it and found this out.

But thanks for the response and no thanks for the snarky remarks...
There was no snark.

Also, no you've changed your story...at first, the warranty kicked in after 30 days and 500 miles. Now it's 1,000 miles?

In any case - best of luck with your car!

Bellayubari

There was no snark.

Also, no you've changed your story...at first, the warranty kicked in after 30 days and 500 miles. Now it's 1,000 miles?

In any case - best of luck with your car!
I didnt change it .the DEALER told me.it was 1000 miles, the WARRANTY said 30 days and 500 miles. But thanks

Zigner

Thanks for your help, it also didnt say anything about pre-existing conditions in the exclusions portion of the warranty. The car was also passed for safety and emissions thru the dealer, go figure. Lol
You DO understand that things break, right? It is entirely possible that the issue you are having wasn't apparent before it occurred for you. Last weekend, my car wouldn't start. It was running fine Friday night when I parked it. Turns out the battery had given up the ghost with no prior warning. Go figure.

ETA: That's a true story - a quick trip to Costco for a new battery and all is good again.

Bellayubari

You DO understand that things break, right? It is entirely possible that the issue you are having wasn't apparent before it occurred for you. Last weekend, my car wouldn't start. It was running fine Friday night when I parked it. Turns out the battery had given up the ghost with no prior warning. Go figure.

ETA: That's a true story - a quick trip to Costco for a new battery and all is good again.
Yes i do, just didnt expect this soon lol but thats good news about your car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">