• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

less breaks more time at home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tizzylish

What is the name of your state?NH
I work for at a place that requires 8.5-9 hrs a day , giving the 1\2 hr to an hour as unpaid break time, is this legal? :confused:
if I only work eight hours can they dock my pay or take any other punitive measures?
also how much notice is required in changes of work schedule?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"I work for at a place that requires 8.5-9 hrs a day , giving the 1\2 hr to an hour as unpaid break time, is this legal?"

Yes. NH law requires a 30 minute break for every five hours of work. Nothing in either Federal or state law requires that this break be paid. (If it is feasible for you to eat while working and your employer allows you to do so, NH law allows for this break to be waived.)

"if I only work eight hours can they dock my pay or take any other punitive measures?"

Assuming that you are a non-exempt employee, the answer is yes, they can dock your pay if you only work 8 hours. They are not required to pay you for any time you do not work. Regardless of whether you are exempt or non-exempt, they can discipline you in any way they deem appropriate for not working your scheduled hours.

"also how much notice is required in changes of work schedule?"

They can change your schedule at will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">