• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Let go from job but need to file workers comp claim - can I do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TT33

I live in Northern California and was recenlty let go from my job. I asked the company to file a workers comp claim on the same day I was let go. I am worried the company will not accept it due to my no longer being an employee. I did not get any official forms to sign, but I did speak to the person who handles these claims in our comapny and she said she will file a claim on my behalf. I am planning on following up by sumbiting a form I found online and bringing it directly to HR. I am concerned that they will say I am only filing this claim because I was let go, however, I have an email that I sent to my manager a couple of months ago where I told her I was experiencing discomfort and pain. She asked me to bring a doctor's note, which I did a few weeks ago and the company ordered an ergonomic evaluation. They did not file a claim and I did not file other either because I was afraid that since i'd only been with the company a few month, it would not look good. But now I have no reason not to file it.

The other problem is that I have an injury (also my wrists) from a previous employer (2 jobs ago) that I am sure they will say contributed to this injury. Even know I have a chronic codition, the nature of the work can and does make it worse. But again, my biggest concern is that they won't accept my claim due to the fact that I was let go.

I was offered a severence package where I will continue to be on the payroll for another 4 weeks and therefore am technically still an employee, but do not need to come to the office. In order to get this benefit I need to sign a release but I'm worried that if I do it will take away my right to file a worker's comp claim.

Thank you!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I was offered a severence package where I will continue to be on the payroll for another 4 weeks and therefore am technically still an employee, but do not need to come to the office.

Well, no, actually it doesn't mean that. It means that you are a former employee who has accepted a severance package.

In order to get this benefit I need to sign a release but I'm worried that if I do it will take away my right to file a worker's comp claim.

Your right to file a workers comp claim is statutory. You cannot sign it away.

TT33

I was offered a severence package where I will continue to be on the payroll for another 4 weeks and therefore am technically still an employee, but do not need to come to the office.

Well, no, actually it doesn't mean that. It means that you are a former employee who has accepted a severance package.

In order to get this benefit I need to sign a release but I'm worried that if I do it will take away my right to file a worker's comp claim.

Your right to file a workers comp claim is statutory. You cannot sign it away.
Thank you!

I live in Northern California and was recenlty let go from my job. I asked the company to file a workers comp claim on the same day I was let go. I am worried the company will not accept it due to my no longer being an employee. I did not get any official forms to sign, but I did speak to the person who handles these claims in our comapny and she said she will file a claim on my behalf. I am planning on following up by sumbiting a form I found online and bringing it directly to HR. I am concerned that they will say I am only filing this claim because I was let go, however, I have an email that I sent to my manager a couple of months ago where I told her I was experiencing discomfort and pain. She asked me to bring a doctor's note, which I did a few weeks ago and the company ordered an ergonomic evaluation. They did not file a claim and I did not file other either because I was afraid that since i'd only been with the company a few month, it would not look good. But now I have no reason not to file it.

The other problem is that I have an injury (also my wrists) from a previous employer (2 jobs ago) that I am sure they will say contributed to this injury. Even know I have a chronic codition, the nature of the work can and does make it worse. But again, my biggest concern is that they won't accept my claim due to the fact that I was let go.

I was offered a severence package where I will continue to be on the payroll for another 4 weeks and therefore am technically still an employee, but do not need to come to the office. In order to get this benefit I need to sign a release but I'm worried that if I do it will take away my right to file a worker's comp claim.

Thank you!
You needn't worry about losing your rights to a Worker's Comp. claim because you were terminated before actually filing one, because you can document actual notice to your former employer of a work-related injury prior to being terminated. Had you not documented the fact you were injured at work, you would lose your benefits due to a 'post termination' claim, unless you could convince the judge you were seeking benefits before you were terminated.

You need to get an Attorney who is well-versed in Workers Comp. Law to follow up on your work-related issues.

TT33

You needn't worry about losing your rights to a Worker's Comp. claim because you were terminated before actually filing one, because you can document actual notice to your former employer of a work-related injury prior to being terminated. Had you not documented the fact you were injured at work, you would lose your benefits due to a 'post termination' claim, unless you could convince the judge you were seeking benefits before you were terminated.

You need to get an Attorney who is well-versed in Workers Comp. Law to follow up on your work-related issues.
Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">