• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letter to judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joeshlabodnik

Would it be appropriate for a third party
to write to a judge on behalf of someone
who is about to go before them? Here is the situation: A very good friend of mine is about to have a hearing for a retail theft
charge. She plans on pleading guilty to that
one and not guilty to two other related charges. If I write to the judge in confidence before her hearing, stating that
she is a drug addict and would best be served
in a treatment facility rather than jail?
He may give her probation, but she does have
a pretty full rap sheet, although she is not on probation at this time. I know that if this girl cleans up, she will become an honest productive member of society.

Please respond, I don't want to do something that may be counterproductive to her situation.

[email protected]

ALawyer

I would NOT write the letter -- until and unless it is time for sentencing. And then I'd ask the friend's lawyer. You may run into a judge who thinks that addiction is a negative, requiring incarceration where drugs are less available.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">