• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Levy was placed on ex's account, I never got the money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aj82

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My ex has been somewhat good about paying child support over the years. There are times between jobs that he skipped a month or two and usually about once a year he skips a month for whatever reason. Every time the balance tops $2,000 we have to go to court and he's usually so close to that amount that one missed month makes it go over. He didn't pay anything in July so in early October the state put a levy on his account and took what was in there and put him in a position where he couldn't pay Octobers child support. They also took more out a week later after agreeing to remove the levy.

The problem is that they took the money from him and still haven't sent it to me and anytime either one of us call they just tell us it takes time. I've been told 10 days, 20 days and that they don't know how long it'll be. He didn't appeal the levy so that's not part of the reason for the delay.

Is there any way to actually get someone to tell either one of us what's going on with it and when to expect it to be released?

We are on good terms and normally he helps out when our son needs something even when he doesn't send child support for the month but they are taking all of his money and it's putting both of us in a bind.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He likely has a period of time in which he can appeal the levy before it will be released to you. Personally, I'd wait until the end of November at least.

aj82

He likely has a period of time in which he can appeal the levy before it will be released to you. Personally, I'd wait until the end of November at least.
On the paper he got from the court about the levy, it said he could appeal it within 20 days and they would have a hearing within 15 days from the date he appeals it. It's already been over the 20 days and he didn't appeal it.

The end of November would be just under 60 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">