• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability Claim?? Will Insurance Cover this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sixtos

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but here we go:

My husband has a painting contracting business. About 9 months ago, he was painting an old Victorian Home. After the job was complete, the owner said that three windows had cracks in them and they weren't there before. My husband and his employees were indeed working around these windows, but didn't recall bumping them or doing anything to them for them to have cracked. My husband said the cracks didn't look fresh, but couldn't prove one way or the other if they were broke by him or his employee or not. So, he asked the owner, "How do you want to deal with this?" The owner said I'm going to keep $1000 of what I owe you. My husband said fine, just give me the remaining balance and we'll call it at that.

Anyway, after almost 9 months, yesterday, we got a letter of demand for payment and a bill from a stained glass co. for $7500.00!!!! There is no way we can pay this bill now. We have been considering throwing in the towel on the business because it hasn't been very profitable for us and we're losing money. I doubt if our Liability Insurance co. will cover this for they didn't get a chance to assess the damage or get estimates prior to him getting the work done! Plus, the damage was questionable if it was our fault or not......

Please help.

V

Vincent Cosent

Cracked Glass

can be caused by improper manufacturing and or installation.
If your husband hasent admitted in writing any acceptance of guilt
then dont pay. The homeowner must prove that you are responsible and since she has waited 9 months already I would assume she is trying to squeeze more money from you.
When she kept that 1000 your husband should have put that in writing on her work order, receipt as complete and final payment for damages to windows and had her sign.
For now say nothing and do nothing unless she takes legal action
then get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">