• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability from Tenants dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aurora1157

Four years ago I bought a house on three acres with two mobile homes which I fixed up and which are now rented. It works very well but I am concerned about my tenant's dog. The dog is friendly and not aggressive at all but it does escape from the yard from time to time. I have told the tenants to keep a close watch and be responsible for it.

My question is am I liable for lets say, it causes an accident on the road or anything like that? I don't have any liability insurance for the tenants - just for myself and my home only....any advice please. The tenants don't have much money and I am sure that they wouldn't have insurance.

A

aurora1157

p.s. my house and yard are separated from the tenants by a cyclone fence....I live in Florida

ALawyer

As a landlord, it probably makes sense to make sure your homeowners or liability insurance covers claims against you as a result of actions of the tenants.

As a practical matter (although I am not a FL lawyer) there should be little liability for a calm dog -- assuming you have the right to have the tenants there in the first place. BUT if the dog does harm someone, the harmed person would probably sue everyone in sight to find "deep pockets" with money -- the tenants and you. The insurance you need would cover defense costs and let you sleep at night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">