• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability selling a new built home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vdo

California

What are the liabilities if you were to sell a home you built off of an empty piece of land?

I know there's a 10 year home warranty requirement. I also see that some companies sell these insurances for the builder.

I am considering partnering with a builder to purchase land and develop a new single family home. Wanted to understand the implications with doing so. Any pointeres will be appreciated. Thanks

LdiJ

California

What are the liabilities if you were to sell a home you built off of an empty piece of land?

I know there's a 10 year home warranty requirement. I also see that some companies sell these insurances for the builder.

I am considering partnering with a builder to purchase land and develop a new single family home. Wanted to understand the implications with doing so. Any pointeres will be appreciated. Thanks
Building and selling spec homes have no more liability than building and selling a custom home. Good liability insurance is the way to protect against liability issues.

zddoodah

This question is way too vague to permit any sort of useful answer. Also, the answer will depend on the terms of the contract for sale and the type of deed used.

I know there's a 10 year home warranty requirement.
What statute do you believe imposes this requirement?

I am considering partnering with a builder to purchase land and develop a new single family home. Wanted to understand the implications with doing so. Any pointeres will be appreciated.
You would be an absolute fool to do this without first obtaining advice from a local attorney. While some folks who respond here regularly are attorneys (and may be in California), proceeding with something like this based on input from anonymous strangers on the internet would be beyond unwise (although I do agree with the prior response about obtaining good liability insurance).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">