• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability when posted No Tresspassing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jessicag32

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Our home sits on 5 acres. It is clearly posted with "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs. We do not however, discourage the neighborhood children from playing on the property. What would our liability be if someone were hurt while riding their bikes, etc...?

HomeGuru

jessicag32 said:

Our home sits on 5 acres. It is clearly posted with "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs. We do not however, discourage the neighborhood children from playing on the property. What would our liability be if someone were hurt while riding their bikes, etc...?
**A: check with your insurance agent. You have liability despite the signage.

C

CombatTN88

jessicag32 said:

You are not liable for two reasons: NO TRESPASSING SIGN (which meant you didn't want anybody to come over) and you didn't invite kids over your place which you are not responsible for their activities.

Take a deep breath and be thankful that you posted that NO TRESPASSING SIGN.

Regards, Combat

J

justathought

Probably wrong! Unless Kansas is dramatically different from most states, children trespassers are owed a duty of care because they are held to different standards than adults. I don't think signage is sufficient to release liability for children... But correct me if I'm wrong(?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">