• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jimmers

What is the name of your state? CA

I Don't know if this fits this catagory or not, but I didn't get any replies under employment.

I am working as an independent contractor doing facilities maintenance in an office building. If an accident were to occur as a result of my work, could I be held liable since I am not an employee of the owners? Should I have some sort of liability insurance of my own?

Thanks
JimE

ALawyer

If in the course of your work you negligently damage the premises or someone else's property, yes, you could be held liable and as an independent contractor, you'd have to have insurance coverage protect you from liability and often even more significantly, the costs of defening the lawsuit.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ALawyer said:
"If in the course of your work you negligently damage the premises or someone else's property, yes, you could be held liable and as an independent contractor, you'd have to have insurance coverage protect you from liability and often even more significantly, the costs of defening the lawsuit."

=========================================

My response:

I thoroughly agree with ALawyer, except I would have added,

". . . unless you have a written indemnification agreement with the person/company who is paying you, agreeing that they will "indemnify" you in the event of your negligence."

Look into having an "indemnification agreement" drawn up by your attorney for presentation to the person/company that pays you.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">