• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ljtb21

I have a question about a lease that I am currently in. I am a college student who is leasing with 3 psychotic girls. They have gone out of their way to make my life a living hell. When we signed our lease the lease said we had to set up our utilities ourselves so utilities are not included in our monthly rent of $220. My question is if I move out would I be liable for any utilities if I am not using them? I know I have to pay rent monthly. But do I have to pay for electric(which includes heat because we have electric heat), water, phone bill, or cable bill? Could you please give me some advice as to what I am liable for through the end of the lease which is up September of 2001?

thank you so much

A

AndreaW

Abstract Advice

Check with your school and see if they contract an attorney to offer free legal advice. I know that all of the university campuses in Califronia do so. You could also go to your library and look for a book on "tenants rights" in your state. Also, it might make a difference as to whose name is actually on the (electricty, gas, etc.) bill. Good Luck!

L

ljtb21

Thanks

Thank you AndreaW for that intelligent reply. I appreciate your help. It's good to know that there are some people out there that are willing to help others out in a non- sarcastic manner. You should be a lawyer you give better advice then who ever is running this show. It is pathetic to see the advice they have given me. I guess that tells you the intelligence level of lawyers these days. Just about anyone could do their job. Thanks again for the advice!! It is appreciated.

L

LL

AndreaW's intelligent reply didn't include any advice about what you are liable for.

What you are liable for depends on your agreement with the utility companies and with your roommates. You might contact the utility companies to see if they have some policy about a roommate dropping out. As for your roommates, you are liable for whatever they are losing because you are leaving. If you didn't have any agreement among you, then you have a dispute.

Watch out for books about the law. They are not the law. Even official (local) government publications are sometimes a response to pressure from special interest groups.

HomeGuru

Re: Thanks

ljtb21 said:
Thank you AndreaW for that intelligent reply. I appreciate your help. It's good to know that there are some people out there that are willing to help others out in a non- sarcastic manner. You should be a lawyer you give better advice then who ever is running this show. It is pathetic to see the advice they have given me. I guess that tells you the intelligence level of lawyers these days. Just about anyone could do their job. Thanks again for the advice!! It is appreciated.
HomeGuru response:

The reason for my response to your post is that you failed to follow simple instructions. When you are given a test in school there may be instructions that you must read prior to taking the test. Take a look at the words in red or orange at the top of this page. It says please include your State. How am I supposed to help and provide you with a correct answer when you did not help yourself by listing your State? There are at least 50 different L/T laws and I had no idea which one to look up for you.

This is a good example of why I have the law degree and you don't.
Thank you for your remarks about this website and attorneys. It just reinforces the reason why no other attorney on this website will help you.

Good day and please study hard.

L

ljtb21

It isn't my fault that your website doesn't work properly because I made sure I did put my state in that spot. In fact I am in Wisconsin. I knew there were different laws for each state that's why I made sure I put what state i was in. I just don't understand why lawyers have to be so sarcastic all the time does it make your job easier or something? I hope so, and if that's the case more power to you. Can you please help me now that you know what state I am in??
Thanks

HomeGuru

ljtb21 said:
It isn't my fault that your website doesn't work properly because I made sure I did put my state in that spot. In fact I am in Wisconsin. I knew there were different laws for each state that's why I made sure I put what state i was in. I just don't understand why lawyers have to be so sarcastic all the time does it make your job easier or something? I hope so, and if that's the case more power to you. Can you please help me now that you know what state I am in??
Thanks
HomeGuru response:
You are really humorous. Not only have you failed to follow directions but now you have the audacity to lie about listing your State in your original post. To make matters worse, you still go on yapping about laywers. You need to grow up. Maybe you are the problem tenant instead of the other 3 girls.

Oh, and if just about anyone can do our job, then "anyone" is perfectly free to provide you with the advice you have so requested.

A

AndreaW

The people on here some times have a harsh sense of humor because they deal with the stress your feeling right now on a daily basis, and I am afraid it has left some of them bitter & spent and perhaps some of them just in need of a little sarcastic relief. Which to us frazzeled by our current situation and just trying to better understand, just seems rude and unkind. But try not to disreguard them so fast. Although it seems like they just reply to vent and get their kicks, they actuall do try to help.

I am not an attorney, I am a college student and have a legal research internship with the State of CA. However, if I were you, I would definitely check out your campus and post on this site exactly what the conditions are. IE: Whose names are on each bills, the terms of the these, any codes cited in the lease, and any agreements made with your roomates. What is happening with your security deposit? Are you roomates going to rent out your space? etc.

The more information you supply; the more likely you will get a thorough response.

You might also want to try looking up local attorney's in your area via the web. Many attorney's will offer a free initial consultation. So Good luck to you again and try not to let it ruin your holidays.

L

ljtb21

First of all what reason would I have to lie about putting my state on my original post. Absolutely none! But I suppose you people think everyone lies and you are always right. For your information I did put my state on the original post and if your website doesn't work properly that isn't my fault you are the ones advertising free advice yet you don't seem to give it ever. I have looked at other people's posts and you don't even give them straight answers all you do is put people down! Does this make you feel better about yourself? I hope so because what you are doing isn't right!! And if AndreaW is right that you guys have good advice I sure would like to know where that good advice is because I haven't seen it on anyone's post as of yet. thank god other people can post advice to my question because I sure have gotten nothing but run around advice from you! You give all lawyers a bad name. It's no wonder you give free advice who would pay you for this sarcastic intelligence?

L

LL

In defense of ljtb21, she did specify her state in her profile. The profile was probably created at the same time that she sent in the posting.

L

ljtb21

Thank you younglsm. isn't that interesting that you noticed the state but the so called intelligent lawyer didn't notice it. Homeguru it looks like you are the one who flunked the test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't be so quick to insult people before having the true facts. Just a bit of advice from me to you for your future profession!!!!!!!

HomeGuru

ljtb21 said:
Thank you younglsm. isn't that interesting that you noticed the state but the so called intelligent lawyer didn't notice it. Homeguru it looks like you are the one who flunked the test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't be so quick to insult people before having the true facts. Just a bit of advice from me to you for your future profession!!!!!!!

ljtb21, thank you kindly for the words of advice.

Just a short note to let you know that the last time I checked this website, the instructions state... When posting, please include your State ...
There is a big difference between a post and a profile. This is a post.
I do not make it a habit of reading user profiles as it is of no relevance to the respective post nor my advice provided. I also simply do not have the time and I am not interested in where the writer lives, what the writer does for a living, interests etc.
I have posted over 4000 responses to date and probably have looked at 10 user profiles.

So you see, things may not always appear as they seem. It may be wise to think things through before acting prematurely and responding so hastily.

L

ljtb21

Homeguru maybe you should take some of your own advice. "It may be wise to think things through before acting prematurely and responding so hastily." This is exactly what you did to begin with. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge and take the advice you give others. Think about that one!!!

LegalBeagle

ljtb21 said:
Homeguru maybe you should take some of your own advice. "It may be wise to think things through before acting prematurely and responding so hastily." This is exactly what you did to begin with. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge and take the advice you give others. Think about that one!!!
Why should he ? Homey is the one with the knowledge and answers. If the poster wants those answers then being mean, nasty or stupid is not going to get them very far. It always amazes me that people are so quick to insult when they are holding their hands out for help..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">