• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liable For Ex-fiance's Insurace?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

troviros

Kansas

In June Of 2000 My Ex Fiance Called Progressive Auto Insurance To Get A Quote (I WAS INSURED WITH PROGRESSIVE AT THAT TIME). We Lived Together. I Was Present In The Room When He Called, And He Decided To Get A Policy.

I Called Off The Engagement. Two Years Later (2003) I Pulled My Credit Report And Found AN Amount Owed To Progressive For $894.00 I Called Progressive And Was Told That This Was For My Ex's Insurance. I Told The Customer Service Rep. That I Was Not On My Ex's Car Loan And He Said He Would Send MY EX The Bill.

I Pulled My Credit Again Today, May 10 2004 And The $894 Was Still Posting. I Called Progressive Once Again And They Said That My Ex Fiance Was "added" To My Policy - Therefore I Was Responsible For His Past Due Amount. I Informed The Rep. That At No Time Did I Authorize To Him To Be Added To My Account. He Called Himself. She Informed Me That Since I Received The Bills And A "change Of Policy" Letter - I Basically Accepted Fiancial Responsibility For His Debt. She Also Said I Was Liable Because I Gave The Password For The Rep. To Access My Account.

As Far As I Knew, I Did Not Authorize Him To Be Added Onto My Policy. I Just Wanted A Multiple Car Discount. I Did Not Sign Anything Approving Payment For His Vehicle Either. I Just Figured We Received The Bills Together Because We Lived At The Same Address. I Didnt Even Know I Could Be Liable To Pay Insurance On A Vehicle I Wasnt Even On The Loan For!

FURTHERMORE, I STOPPED PAYING ON THIS ACCOUNT IN AUGUST - PROGRESSIVE DID NOT ACTUALLY CANCEL THE POLICY UNTIL OCTOBER!! THEY SAID THAT THEIR "COMPUTER" HAD NO RECORD OF ME CALLING IN THE CANCELLATION. MY CURRENT INSURANCE COMPANY CANCELS THE POLICY IF I'M LATE EVEN BY A DAY! HOW CAN THEY CHARGE ME FOR THREE MONTHS OF COVERAGE WHEN TECHNICALLY, IF I WASNT PAYING - THEY WOULD HAVE CANCELLED IT. I WAS ON A MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN.

HOW IS IT MY FAULT THAT THEIR "COMPUTER NOTES" ARE INACCURATE AND DO I HAVE TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR MISTAKES?

Am I Liable FOR MY EX'S INSURANCE? What Do I Do? Can I Take MY EX To Court? :(

tammy8

Some companies do add any "risks" aka drivers in the household to a policy.

Also get a copy of your current carrier's policy and fax to progressive, they should go back and credit you the time for the dupilcate coverage.

J

jennifer_b_h

As Far As I Knew, I Did Not Authorize Him To Be Added Onto My Policy. I Just Wanted A Multiple Car Discount. I Did Not Sign Anything Approving Payment For His Vehicle Either. I Just Figured We Received The Bills Together Because We Lived At The Same Address. I Didnt Even Know I Could Be Liable To Pay Insurance On A Vehicle I Wasnt Even On The Loan For!

FOR YOU TO RECEIVE A MULTIPLE CAR DISCOUNT BOTH YOUR FIANCE AND HIS VEHICLE WOULD HAVE TO BE ADDED TO YOUR POLICY- THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN APPARENT WHEN YOU RECEIVED THE CHANGE REQUEST FOR YOUR POLICY IN THE MAIL.

"FURTHERMORE, I STOPPED PAYING ON THIS ACCOUNT IN AUGUST - PROGRESSIVE DID NOT ACTUALLY CANCEL THE POLICY UNTIL OCTOBER!! THEY SAID THAT THEIR "COMPUTER" HAD NO RECORD OF ME CALLING IN THE CANCELLATION. MY CURRENT INSURANCE COMPANY CANCELS THE POLICY IF I'M LATE EVEN BY A DAY! HOW CAN THEY CHARGE ME FOR THREE MONTHS OF COVERAGE WHEN TECHNICALLY, IF I WASNT PAYING - THEY WOULD HAVE CANCELLED IT. I WAS ON A MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN."

IN MOST STATES INSURANCE IS REQUIRED BY STATE LAW- BECAUSE IT IS REQUIRED YOUR CARRIER CAN'T JUST CANCEL COVERAGE BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT IT- USUALLY THEY REQUIRE PROOF FROM YOUR NEW CARRIER OF THE DATE YOU PURCHASED A NEW POLICY- IF YOU HAVE THIS THEY WILL BACKDATE THE CANCELLATION OF THE POLICY AND REMOVE THE CHARGES.

n_and

IN MOST STATES INSURANCE IS REQUIRED BY STATE LAW- BECAUSE IT IS REQUIRED YOUR CARRIER CAN'T JUST CANCEL COVERAGE BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT IT-
That is not true - at ALL. If I called progressive right now and told them to cancel my policy, they'd do it, then send me a refund for the year. It does not matter that it is required by state law - if you don't want the insurance they offer, you don't want it. Maybe you got a DUI. Maybe you just don't want to drive any more. Your insurance company isn't going to know that. You just call and cancel. I know I give out a lot of crap advice, so maybe I shouldn't say anything, but, not true. Tammy is absolutely correct - they will credit you as long as you provide info on your new policy. Just a thought - since you gave that password to your boyfriend, have you checked with him? I would think he is the one to blame, not progressive. They have an 8 day policy - pay in 8 days, or your plan gets cancelled. You should call them again and ask about that. Because you gave your boyfriend the password, he was authorized to make any changes to your account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">