• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liable for son's accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gschoepf

My 20 year old son is a full time student in GA where we live. He was returning to school after spring break and fell asleep at the wheel and collided head on into another vehicle in the state of TN. The party from the other vehicle is not statisfied with what his auto insurance can offer them (he had the state minimal coverages) and will probably be suing. What I want to know is if my husband (his step-father) and I can be sued since he is a full time student and still depends on us for support. We pay for his school and claimed him on our taxes in 1999 for the first time ever (usually his father claimed him since he resided with his father until he started school this past fall). My son's car title, license plates, and insurance were all in his name only. Please advise. Thank you.

L

lars coltrane

Not sure about your state, but here, in the great state of CA (just gearing up for the convention), ownership is the issue, not support. So if you were here, you would not be liable merely based on providing support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">