• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

: Libel / Slander / Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blporter78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Can I sue my husbands ex employer for calling me a bitch, whore, and many other names because he was upset because my husband quit? He also owes him his last paycheck which he said he will not pay, and DOT violation tickets which he was suppose to pay since they where due do the lack of maintenance upkeep on his trucks, which he just let us know he did not pay and will not pay. Is there anything we can do? A;so we have all of what he said in text, he was nice enough to text all of this to us.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
YOU can do nothing.

Your husband can file a wage claim with the TWC for the unpaid wages.

The rest, not so much.

quincy

Can I sue my husbands ex employer for calling me a bitch, whore, and many other names because he was upset because my husband quit? ... Is there anything we can do? A;so we have all of what he said in text, he was nice enough to text all of this to us.
First, words said in the heat of the moment are more often considered insults and not defamation. Your husband's ex-boss was upset. He did not call you several names expecting anyone to believe in their truth.

In addition, if these words were communicated to you via text, there has been no third person publication, which is a necessary element of any defamation claim, even if you were to share the text message or its contents with others.

I agree with cbg on the actions your husband can take. I do not see any that would be worthwhile for you to take. Sorry.

Last edited:

TigerD

Can I sue my husbands ex employer for calling me a bitch, whore, and many other names because he was upset because my husband quit? He also owes him his last paycheck which he said he will not pay, and DOT violation tickets which he was suppose to pay since they where due do the lack of maintenance upkeep on his trucks, which he just let us know he did not pay and will not pay. Is there anything we can do? A;so we have all of what he said in text, he was nice enough to text all of this to us.
So are you mad because hubby has to pay for his violations, or because the boss used salty language when referring to you?

Chances are you do not have a libel case. Most of those names are opinion or hyperbole.

But if you feel you need to, by all means visit with a local lawyer.

DC

## Cross posted with the others - definitely consider Qs comments. He is the local guru.

quincy

Why exactly were you a target of the rant by your husband's boss?

(I agree with what you wrote, DC - we appear to have posted at the same time :))

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">