• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

libel/slander if sharing factual info? Involves cheating husband/wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

makk25

Would there be a libel/slander issue with sending an audio cassette disclosing some facts about an affair I am aware of going on? This is a tape I intend to send to the "other" mans wife and one to him also. The tape will not be vulgar or done in spite, but only to let them know that I know of the affair. The "other" mans wife does not know this is going on. My wife does not know I know she is cheating on me. I wish to send these tapes as my way of letting all parties involved know that I am aware of the situation. Hope that makes sense. My purpose is not to break up the "other" mans marriage, but rather to inform his wife who has suspected this anyhow. She may leave him but I will not indicate that I wish she do that. Any ideas? Comments?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by makk25:
Would there be a libel/slander issue with sending an audio cassette disclosing some facts about an affair I am aware of going on? This is a tape I intend to send to the "other" mans wife and one to him also. The tape will not be vulgar or done in spite, but only to let them know that I know of the affair. The "other" mans wife does not know this is going on. My wife does not know I know she is cheating on me. I wish to send these tapes as my way of letting all parties involved know that I am aware of the situation. Hope that makes sense. My purpose is not to break up the "other" mans marriage, but rather to inform his wife who has suspected this anyhow. She may leave him but I will not indicate that I wish she do that. Any ideas? Comments?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

DO NOT send the tape to the other man's wife. Send it to him, only, and make sure only he opens it and only he listens to it. Mark the package "For Mr. XXXX's Eyes only." If you send it to his wife, and you are unable to absolutely, possitively, prove each and every statement you make, you will, in fact, ruin their marriage; but, more importantly to you is that whether or not it's true, if you can't "prove" each allegation, you will open yourself up to a slander suit, the likes of which you've never heard of. If the tape is sent only to him, then nothing can happen to you since it was not communicated to others, and as such, will not cause him to be shunned or ridiculed, etc. If, in your heart, you sincerely believe that the affair is happening, talk to your wife first. That should be enough to shake them up, and to stop it. Then, get into counseling with your wife.

Hope it all works out for you and your wife.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">