• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rsouth00

What is the name of your state?ARIZONA.

Story : I was told by an lawyer representing a friend (the victim in a drunk driving accident), to rent a vehicle for my freind using my credit card until the arrangements were made with the at-fault drivers insurance company later in the week. i would not be responsible for the cost of renting the vehicle, I was just getting the vehicle for now (friend didn't have a credit card). In short, after my friend repeatedly insisted the lawyer follow through on the rental car portion of the case, and 3 months later, I'm charged the full amount of the rental vehicle and the lawyer will not discuss the matter with me, and has now dropped the case. I sent the lawyer a letter regarding this matter and what I would consider misrepresentation on his behalf. I also submitted a copy to the state bar.

The lawyer is now threatening to sue me for libel? character assassination?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Ultimately, you're the one who agreed to do this for your friend. You didn't have to. The lawyer no longer represents your friend, and therefore, cannot attempt to get you reimbursed. Look to your friend.

The lawyer is not on the hook for your decisions.

IAAL

JETX

"The lawyer is now threatening to sue me for libel? character assassination?"
*** There is nothing in your post that would even qualify as defamatory. However, we have NO idea what you might have said in your 'letter' (though it would likely ALSO not qualify).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">