• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

license needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Duck

To run an internet recruiting web site is a personnel ageny license needed?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duck:
To run an internet recruiting web site is a personnel ageny license needed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You failed to tell us which State you are thinking of conducting business from. However, and generally, all States have some sort of regulation on Employment Agencies running from their State. As an example, read the following:

Employment Agency
Licensing Information

Required State Licenses:

A person shall not open, operate, or maintain a personnel agency in this state without first obtaining the appropriate license from the Department of Consumer and Industry Services. The department shall determine whether an agency is considered a type A personnel agency or a type B personnel agency.

"Type A personnel agency" means a person who is engaged in the business or profession of serving, assisting, or in any way aiding a client seeking employment or making basic career decision, who puts a client in direct contact with employers, and who receives a fee from the client for the services rendered or offered to be rendered.

"Type B personnel agency" means a person who is engaged in the business or profession of serving, assisting, or in any way aiding or consulting with a client to make basic career decisions and who receives a fee from the client for the services rendered or offered to be rendered.

To obtain an agency license, please contact the Department of Consumer & Industry Services, Personnel Agency Board, P.O. Box 30018, Lansing, Michigan 48909, telephone: (517) 241-9258.

Further Information:

Some employment agencies are not licensed according to Public Acts 299 of 1980, 339.1003 as follows:

(a) A regularly established educational institution, religious, labor, charitable, benevolent organization, or department or bureau maintained for the purpose of providing free employment or consulting services for which no fee, compensation, or other valuable consideration is charged or received, directly or indirectly.

(b) A person who maintains an employment or consulting office for the person's own intraorganization purposes exclusively, an organization which provides vocational rehabilitation services if the fees are paid by an insurer or self-insurer responsible under applicable state or federal insurance laws for the providing of vocational rehabilitation services to an individual, or a person under a contract with the State of Michigan to provide employment services.

(c) A person employing an individual to render part-time or temporary personal service to, for, or under the direction of a third person if the person employing the individual, in addition to a wage or salary, pays federal social security taxes, state and federal unemployment insurance, carries workers' disability compensation insurance as required by the workers' disability compensation act of 1969, Act No. 317 of the Public Acts of 1969, as amended, being sections 418.101 to 418.941 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, and sustains responsibility for the acts of the employee while rendering service to, for, or under the direction of a third person.

(d) The business of procuring, offering, promising, promoting, or attempting to provide an engagement for an athletic event, a circus, concert, vaudeville, theatrical, or other entertainment, or of giving information as to where an engagement may be procured or provided for an actor, artist, athlete, entertainer, or performer in an athletic event, a circus, vaudeville, theatrical, or other entertainment.

If there is some doubt as to whether you should be licensed or not, please don't hesitate to call the Department of Consumer & Industry Services at (517) 241-9258.

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited March 14, 2000).]

D

Duck

Thanks for the advice.

The state I would be doing business would be NY. Also, I aim my services to target the employers more than I do job seekers. Anything that is done for job seekers is a free service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">