• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License, Registration and Titles...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mountain dew

Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I had posted my story earlier about not having a valid drivers license since 1997. I am in the process of reinstating it but before I start car shopping etc. I needed to ask a quick question.

Is it possible to buy a vehicle from a private party and have the title transferred over to me without plating the vehicle or obtaining a drivers license and insurance? I was wondering this because upon reinstating my drivers license I am going to be required to have an interlock system installed in my vehicle but I remembered reading somewhere that if you register a vehicle and have the title transfered you are required to have an interlock system installed regardless if you are driving the vehicle or not.

I guess what I am trying to say is I would like to go ahead and obtain the vehicle along with it's title while repairing and doing restoration on it before I run out and reinstate my license, obtain insurance and have the interlock system installed. Does this sound like something that can be done?

Sure, happens all the time. Many antique, classic, and other vehicles are basically in storage and parked on private propperty.
You can even tittle and register a vehicle in one name and also have "In the care of: John Doe" placed right on the tittle and/or the regisration if you want.

Call your DMV and ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential