• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help202

What is the name of your state? Florida

I got my car registration renewal in the mail and it said I couldn't renew due to a parking violation. I called the tag agency and was told I had a lien on me for a car that was towed that I sold in 2006. The car was towed in 2007. I sold this car to an individual I did what is required by law to protect myself from any civil liability in case the buyer doesn't transfer the title in 30 days by law they are suppose to. I filled out form 82050 Notice of sale of motor vehicle gave it to the tag agency when I turned my tag in which is required by law to do. They mark the car as sold in the dmv database. The guy I sold it to never had the title transfered I didn't know this until 2 police officers came to my job to ask me if I had sold this person a car because it had been stolen and they had misplaced the title to it. They found the car a few days later not damaged or anything The cops had it towed. I receive a letter in the mail that it had been impounded and the storage and towing was like over 500.00 they had the car maybe 8 or 9 days when the letter was mailed to me. I never received anything in the mail about the car again after that. I called the wrecker company to explain and was told oh well you were the last registered owner of the car. I called the tag agency and get told that oh well form 82050 is just showing in good faith you did what you were suppose to do when you sell a vehicle but it doesn't always protect you from civil liability. That's not how I read the Florida statute on it. I was told I need a notorized bill of sale. I don't even know where the buyer of this car is. You don't have to have a notorized bill of sale to get a title and registration switched over any other time. Can I take the bill of sale and get it notorized (if I can find him) even though it is dated for 2006? I can't get my tag renewed unless something is done about the lien. Also shouldn't I have received something in the mail that a lien was being filed against me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">