• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lien help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jalex25

I have a business a self proprietorship. I hired a contractor to pour a concrete parking lot in Oct. He was paid in full $27,000 for labor and concrete, he was paid with personal checks from my checking account and I have the receipts In Sept the owner of the concrete company sent me a certified letter stating his company was never paid by the contractor I hired, an he is planning on filing a lien against my property for the payment owed for the concrete $11,400. is this legal? since the contractor I hired was paid in full for the concrete and labor. How can I protect my property from a lien? Texas

adjusterjack

is this legal?
Yes, it's legal. And quite common when contractors don't pay their subs.

How can I protect my property from a lien?
By paying the $11,400 and then suing the contractor for indemnification.

Or, you can ignore it and allow the lien which would have to be perfected by a lawsuit within a certain period of time or it becomes unenforceable.

I suggest you consult an attorney and review your options.

jalex25

Yes, it's legal. And quite common when contractors don't pay their subs.

By paying the $11,400 and then suing the contractor for indemnification.

Or, you can ignore it and allow the lien which would have to be perfected by a lawsuit within a certain period of time or it becomes unenforceable.

I suggest you consult an attorney and review your options.
Thanks for the response, I will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">