• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Estate On Residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My father just passed away. In the state of California. He has a will that was drawn up by an attorney. My question is about the residence he lived in...his will states..."I give my residence at (A California location) to my wife for her lifetime, remainder to my son, XXXXXX. The foregoing life estate is conditioned upon the following: That my wife use said real property as her principal place of residence, that my wife not vacate said premises for any continuous period longer that One Hundred and Twenty (120) days, that no encumbrances be placed on the subject property, and that my wife pay all property taxes, homeowner's insurance, utilities, and current maintenance expenses."

1) Can she sell the house?
2) If she vacates the house for over 120 days can the son take over the property from that point forward?

Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential