• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estate & selling home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scarter

My mother and I own a house in Winter Park, Florida. She died 3 years ago. Before her death, she & my stepfather (her husband) signed a quick claim deed to make the property a life estate, so they could live there until their natural deaths. The property is quick claimed to myself and my stepsister. My stepfather has become to ill to live on his own and is now living with my stepsister, who is his power of attorney. Both she & I would like to sell the property, since it is now vacant and he can no longer live by himself. However, she is concerned that social security may be able to step in and take part of of money, if my stepfather needs excessive medical care or needs to go to a nursing home. Can you tell me what rights social security has under these conditions?
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">