• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life/health

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swag

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Husband was involved in motorcycle accident and is blind and permanently disabled. He started receiving SSDI recently. The month the accident happened he was laid off at the beginning, but ended up working 4 days 40 hours, which qualified him for medical coverage, both major medical and the companies own accident/sickness plan. Premimum payments were taken out for both from his paycheck. The date the he was technically laid off once again, the 24th of the month; the accident happened the 25th. We do have a lawyer helping us, but so far with his letters to the company's accident/sickness insurance , with no replies. Should I as his wife make a trip to the company and demand the forms to fill out for this insurance, or should I wait for the lawyer to take other action ? According to the plan, my husband is entitled to "loss of eyesight" and 26 weeks of disability pay, since the premimum was paid for that month. Or am I wrong since he was technically laid off the time of the accident ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends upon your disability plan and your husband's employer. If the layoff was expected to be permanent, it's quite possible that the last day of coverage was the 24th and there would be no benefits coming for an accident on the 25th. On the other hand, if it was supposed to be a temporary layoff, the policy may still have been in force. This is a contractual issue with the insurance policy rather than a legal issue.

S

swag

Thank you for your quick reply. It was a temporary lay off, we are also trying to get the policy papers which after several attempts in writing by our lawyer have not been successful. I guess my footwork is in order. Thank you once again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">