• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life ins beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patc47

What is the name of your state? florida
If I am the OWNER of a life insurance policy on my ex husband that I've had for years while we were married and still kept it after we divorced. Am I going to have a problem collecting if something happens to him???

S

shell007

patc47 said:
What is the name of your state? florida
If I am the OWNER of a life insurance policy on my ex husband that I've had for years while we were married and still kept it after we divorced. Am I going to have a problem collecting if something happens to him???
I am not sure about "every" case, but here was my circumstance.

I was the Owner of a life insurance policy on my Brother, and kept it up to date. He had a wife, but this policy was taken out long before he ever met her. In any event...He passed suddenly at the age of 37 (almost one year to the day). My sister-in-law tried to claim this policy to her benefit. Well...she lost...I won! I bought my brother a head stone and the rest of the $$$ went into a trust for his step-son's college education (hopefully).

Stand by for more advice. This answer was just based on my situation!!!

seniorjudge

shellandty said:
I am not sure about "every" case, but here was my circumstance.

I was the Owner of a life insurance policy on my Brother, and kept it up to date. He had a wife, but this policy was taken out long before he ever met her. In any event...He passed suddenly at the age of 37 (almost one year to the day). My sister-in-law tried to claim this policy to her benefit. Well...she lost...I won! I bought my brother a head stone and the rest of the $$$ went into a trust for his step-son's college education (hopefully).

Stand by for more advice. This answer was just based on my situation!!!
Sound advice; if OP is the OWNER of the policy, that says it all!

patc47

life ins beneficiay

seniorjudge said:
Sound advice; if OP is the OWNER of the policy, that says it all!
Excuse seniorjudge but what does OP stand for?? and thanks for responding.

patc47

seniorjudge said:
Sorry...internet lingo.

OP is original post(er)....
Senior judge are you saying because I am the policy owner even though I'm divorced and the beneficiary of the policy I should be able to collect if something happens to my ex of 9 years? thanks again

seniorjudge

patc47 said:
Senior judge are you saying because I am the policy owner even though I'm divorced and the beneficiary of the policy I should be able to collect if something happens to my ex of 9 years? thanks again
Yes.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">