• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Ins. part of estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

royalfresh

What is the name of your state? NY
I was the sole beneficiary of my mothers life Ins. policy. I gave my sibs what my Mom told me to. She knew there was more left for me. My sibs claim that policy should be split equally among all of us. They don't know the full value of the policy, but believe they are intitled to more of it. Can they legally find out the worth of it and if so do they legally have a leg to stand on. My Mom had reasons for wanting me to have the "Lions Share". Please help. this could tear my family apart.

somarco

As the named beneficiary you are entitled to the proceeds. What you do with the funds is your business. Life insurance beneficiaries are generally not part of public records.

Dandy Don

You have already been generous enough. The life insurance money is all yours, and your mother put you in a difficult position by not drafting a will. You are under no obligation to tell anyone how much you received. Be strong enough to stand your ground and don't let their greed influence you--it's time for them to grow up and stop being greedy.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">