• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insuranc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ANGTHRAX94

What is the name of your state? MINNESOTA

MY MOM AND I WANT TO GET HER A FAIRLY LARGE LIFE INSURANCE POLICY, WITH ME AS THE BENEFICIARY, WE ARE WONDERING IF AFTER SHE DIES ALL HER CREDITORS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THIS MONEY BEFORE ME?? LIKE IS IT POINTLESS TO DO IT IF HER DEBT IS LARGE??

C

CIAA

Her creditors would have a claim against her Estate. Life insurance proceeds paid to a named beneficiary are not part of the decedants' estate.

Dandy Don

No it is not pointless to do if there is large debt, and in fact it is an excellent idea.

The creditors would NOT have direct access to this money. The check would be made out to you as beneficiary and then it would be up to you to decide whether you wanted to use that money to pay off creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">