• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance and debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cre8nrg

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? I am in Georgia
My husband wants to get some life insurance, with me as the benificiary, because I work for him, and without him I would have no income - he is a sole proprietor. He still has some student loans debts that he incurred before we met and has been trying to pay off. A large amount is still owed.
Can the student loans take the life insurance benefits if my husband died before they are paid off?
C

Bigfoot

I'm not sure about the answers you received that whole life insurance benefits could be taken to pay off student loans. Usually the death benefits would be paid to you personally, to be used as you see fit, without government interference.

Your husband's debts become a part of his estate. Maybe racer can elaborate...

C

cre8nrg

Thank you for your replies. I had not had a chance to sign back in until today. Racer, I agree with Bigfoot's response - would you mind elaborating, please. I had been checking another source too, and had received a similar response to Bigfoot's so am puzzled by your answer.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">