• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance and deferred compensation plans - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DawnInWV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I was previously engaged to a man named Ron back in the late 90's early 2000. We bought a house together and everything, and he mentioned that he was making me the primary beneficiary on something. Yes, I said "something" because I don't remember what the heck he was referring to.

Ron and I broke up, we settled our disputes by hiring lawyers, and all was said and done.
Then Ron died a week later in 12/2005.

Fast forward to today.

I receive an account summary today from Prudential for a Deferred Compensation Plan. It has my name on it and my current address. I make a phone call and found out that after Ron died back in 2005, the plan was put in my name since I was listed as the primary beneficiary.

So for 3 years I've had this account I never knew existed. I haven't received any 1099 forms or anything. My taxes for the last 3 years do not reflect this and I'm a little scared about that.

I know nothing about this kind of stuff. What if there was a life insurance policy that I didn't know about? His only surviving kin was his mom, and she hates me. If there was money coming to me she wouldn't steal it, but she wouldn't tell me either. Is there any way I can found that out?

And can anyone tell me about this deferred compensation plan? It's only valued at $1630.18 (recently dropped I was told because of the market) but I know he worked for a long time with the state and it seems like it should be more than that.

I don't want the insurance company screwing me because I'm ignorant to all this. I'm trying to read online about this stuff but I really am clueless to the jargon being used.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">