• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance and POA Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help4mydad

What is the name of your state? PA but my father lives in MD
Hello,

My power-hungry relative has POA over my father. I was listed as the beneficiary for his life insurance, however, I have no idea if she went and changed it (she had the will changed after she found some attorney willing to say my father, who had mid-stage Alzheimer's was of "sound mind").

Does anyone know if I call the life insurance company they would give me the beneficiary information although I am not the POA?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BlondiePB

help4mydad said:
What is the name of your state? PA but my father lives in MD
Hello,

My power-hungry relative has POA over my father. I was listed as the beneficiary for his life insurance, however, I have no idea if she went and changed it (she had the will changed after she found some attorney willing to say my father, who had mid-stage Alzheimer's was of "sound mind").

Does anyone know if I call the life insurance company they would give me the beneficiary information although I am not the POA?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I STRONGLY suggest that you hire an Elder Law attorney in the county where dad resides ASAP and petition for guardianship over your father. The court can invalidate the new will.

Dandy Don

Call the insurance company yourself and see what they have to say--you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Don't tell them about the POA--just ask if you are a beneficiary.

If they don't give you information, you need to do as you have been advised--consult with an elder law attorney to find out how to bring charges against this person for abuse of POA. The will is not valid because the person was not mentally competent when it was signed and if the medical records or physician indicates that Alzheimer's had already been previously diagnosed, then it's a slam dunk for you. Attorney can also advise you whether you need to get this POA revoked.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">