• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance and Retirement Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teddy022

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

My husband was recently killed in a car accident. We have been married for only 6 years. After he divorced his ex-wife ten years ago, he changed his Employers Life Insurance and Retirement beneficiary to his dad's name because he did not want his ex-wife to benefit from his death. Since then he never changed it into mine because he dad was failing in health and he knew that his dad would not be around much longer and he procrastinated changing it. His excuse was that he would "get to it" someday.

His father is refusing to do the "right thing" and assign them over to me, claiming that he needs this money for "peace of mind", however his seven sisters and brother have said that this is not what my husband would've wanted and that the money should come to me. My husband loved me very much and they knew that is what he would've wanted to do since I am left with nothing. There was no will so his estate is intestate and will be going through probate. Is there any chance that this can be contested with the insurance and retirement companies? He never made the change after our marriage because he "never got around to it".What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

His father is refusing to do the "right thing" and assign them over to me,
he is doing the right thing. His son put them in his name. If his son/your husband wanted them in your name, he would have done so.

His excuse was that he would "get to it" someday.
Sounds like an excuse to leave it in the fathers name to me.

Betty

Sorry but if Dad is the beneficiary, he gets the life ins. proceeds & retirement proceeds to do with as he wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">