• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance and Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EddieEllip

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

The situation I have is that my father got terminated from his job (Laid off due to outsourcing) about 39 days before he died. As with most insurance, we thought that maybe he was still covered since they normally give you 30 days or so to continue, and other things like that.

Well sure enough in his paper work we found the form asking if he wanted to convert from a group life insurance policy to an individual. Due to some problems they had sending the letter, the time to convert was extended past the normal 30 days, and my father did die within that period that he had to convert to an individual. We recently got denied, however, so I guess my question is, are you truly not covered at all during that period of switch? Or are they trying to jerk us around?

Life Insurance company is MetLife

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He didn't change the policy type - they're not "jerking you around". He wasn't covered.

Dandy Don

Did he agree to convert to an individual policy or not?

Who issued the official denial--the insurance company? Did they provide a specific reason?

If you feel you have been treated unfairly, do a GOOGLE search to try to find the website for the South Carolina State Insurance Commissioner and file a complaint with him to have this investigated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">