• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance and tobacco/nicotine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Melanieb

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I was wondering... if you didnt smoke when you opened a life insurance policy and registered as a former smoker but now nonsmoker having quit 5 yrs ago... and when you die you have nicotine in your system due to smoking again... will the insurance company find that out? and if so would they deny paying your benificiary due to that?

C

CIAA

Based on what you have said we see no basis for a denial of benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I can't say it was absolutely impossible for the insurance company to find out, it is exceedingly unlikely, unless the nicotine was significant enough to the death to be listed on the death certificate. In my experience, the insurance company rarely sees anything except the actual cause of death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">