• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Application Denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmyeshua

What is the name of your state? NC
My wife and I recently applied for a twenty year term life insurance policy of $250,000. My wife's application was accepted but my application was denied due to a slightly high count in one of the medical screening categories.

We requested the official lab results from the life insurance company and my sheet had many errors on it. They had my wife's name on my sheet, my glucose was zero, and a number of other data points were obviously incorrect.

I went to my doctor and performed the same screening and all the results were fine, contradicting the results from the life insurance company.

My question is what can I now do? If I were to go get other insurance I can't, in all honesty, say that I have not been denied before. Am I, by law, required to answer truthfully to the question even though I have proof the previous company was wrong? Is there some form of "life insurance" credit rating out there that also needs to be cleared?

Any help would be appreciated.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Why haven't you contacted the insurance company and made the underwriters aware of their mistake? They can get another test ordered, and potentially have the same results that you got.

mmyeshua

In process

I am in the process of dealing with the insurance company however they are very slow in responding. In the meantime I would like to look at alternative insurance companies as I am not happy with this one.

moburkes

Go to www.mib.com. You will, in writing, request a copy of your report. You will be able to see if your report is coded. Yes, you will need to honestly answer the questions on the application. No, it will not necessarily bar you from getting life insurance in the future.

Betty

I worked for an ins. co. as a life ins. underwriter & normally in this situation the applicant for ins. would contact his agt. re the error(s) & then the agt. would contact the underwriting dept. The underwriting dept. would go from there & see that all necessary corrections are made. If you go through the agt. instead of contacting the co. direct, the agt. knows the right people to call & normally will call for status of the request if they don't hear anything within a reasonable period of time. (The agt. can be your "friend".)

sturgbe

Company?

What was the name of the Insurance Company you applied with? Some companies are notorius for being tough on underwriting, especially for certain medical conditions. Did you use an agent or did you go online? I would definately apply with others and reapply with the same company. I would also tell your agent to get off their a_ _ and look into the mistake (if you used one).

sturgbe

BathTub

Leave em'

I would just ditch them and go to another company.

If they cant even read a blood report properly, who knows how incompetent they will
be during something life changing. :confused:

Last edited:

moburkes

I would just ditch them and go to another company.

If they cant even read a blood report properly, who knows how incompetent they will
be during something life changing. :confused:
Its interesting that you say that. Especially since the paramed that TOOK the blood was a 3rd party, and the company that REaeD the blood work was also a 3rd party.

So, tell me again, WHO made the mistake? The insurance company?

More than likely the same 2 companies will do the work with whichever insurance company he uses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My opinion is that, if the original insurance company sends you a letter stating their denial was in error, then you are free not to disclose the "denial" on future applications. Just make sure to keep a copy of that letter ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">