• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Beneficary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harley2005

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Wisconsin
I need some advise. My Mother just passed away 2 weeks ago. She had a policy in which everyone thought would of been my sister and I as beneficaries. Not the case though. I am listed as the primary, and my sister as the contingent. Needless to say, she flipped out when she seen it ( I never even paid attention to the fine print). She came to my house tried stealing the paperwork that was sent to me, and assaulted me. Since there has been nothing but threats of this and that. She is now trying to get a lawyer to try to get half of the policy. I would of never had any intention on not sharing it with her, but she refuses to believe anyone telling her this. She is just gone crazy! I havent even been able to grieve the loss of my mother and all she cares about is money. Can she do this, and can she actually win? I can honestly say that if she was to take me to court for something that doesnt have to be, I would fight it. She has put me thru more Drama and turmoil than I could of ever imagined. Help me please, anyone.

Dandy Don

Tell her that someone needs to explain to her what a contingent beneficiary is.

Technically you don't owe her anything, but for your own safety you need to go ahead and tell her that although legally you don't have to give her anything, that you do intend to give her part of the money and warn her that if there is any further trouble she will get nothing. If I were you I would only give her a third of the money, without telling her that you are giving her a third (does she know the face value of the policy?)

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Harley2005

Wisconsin
Yes she knows the value. Her behavior has gotten way worse in the last few days. She is now making things up that its not moms signature, she was drugged up etc. Of course none of these things are true. Everyone that has been trying to help her calm down has now said they are done with her because she is making threats to them and calling them nasty names. She has also called the Life Ins. Company and they told her that the claim was filed, and that they would be issuing a check out soon. I am thinking that she said she was me when she called. Why would they give her this information?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">