• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance beneficiaries unclear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mattandchrissyh

What is the name of your state? California

My dad passed away in 12/04 after a 7 year debilitating illness (brain tumor.)

He divorced my mom in 1981 and my sister informed me recently his life insurance goes to our mom, even though my sister and I are the beneficiaries; something to do with the divorce.

Because my mom and I have had a somewhat strained relationship, I don't feel comfortable bringing it up to her, and my my sister refuses to give me his insurance policy info; and my sister said it was only 4 thousand dollars (approx.).

I feel left in the dark and unsure if I am missing something. He worked as a carpenter and belonged to his local union for 30+ years, and I am assuming that is where this policy came from, originally.

Thank you in advance for any help, if any, you can give me.

C

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Why are you looking to US for the answers when it is sister who has all of the details?

Is it possible that the divorce decree might have required him to get life insurance through his union that named his wife as beneficiary?

Your post is confusing or maybe that is because of the gobbledygook you were told--first it is your sister and you who are the beneficiaries, then it is your mother who is the actual beneficiary, and you don't even know or weren't told the exact truth.

If you are the beneficiary you will be getting a check--if not, then you won't be. The fact that your sister won't give you details so you can check on this for yourself could be an indication that your mother gets all of the money and that is that, there may be nothing for you to pursue. Get someone else in the family to try to get information about this (at least the name of the insurance company) from sis or mom.

Did he leave a will and is it possible you will be getting anything else from the estate?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

M

mattandchrissyh

unclear beneficiaries

California

Thank you for reply... still unclear on life insurance(s) other than I know now that my mom received the approx 20,000 and that was the end of that insurance... my sister has deposited a check for (she says) 3900 that is for both of us... she is holding it in her personal bank account because she says she has to pay back medical expenses for state or government according to a letter she received... she won't let me have a copy of the letter to do the appropriate research... she is that odd. There was a will splitting whatever my dad had left (nothing, my sister says) between her and I.

She says we are both beneficiaries of his insurance that she is holding in her account; of course, I do not know what kind of insurance it was, the company name, or anything. God, this sounds so strange to me. This cannot be the norm within families...

Thanks for your help!

Christina

Dandy Don

Contact his union yourself to try to get more information about this. It's hard to know if your sister is telling the truth or not--under normal circumstances, if the check had been made payable to both of your names, her bank should not have let her deposit the check unless BOTH of you had signed it. Contact the bank yourself and try to check into this.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

FirstChance

to me

it sounds like you are getting screwed. maybe i can help private message me and i will give you my phone number so we can discuss your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">