• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathy McCollum

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My husband recently passed away from leukemia. His ex-wife contacted my and said I owe her 20,000 in life insurance for her children. Their divorce agreement from 1986 stated that he would carry 20,000 life insurance for his minor children on his existing policy.
He lost his job in 1987 and had no life insurance for some time.
I was the only beneficiary on his recent policy. Since this is a not the same policy do I have to somehow come up with 20,00 to pay her? She has one daughter at home who's 17.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kathy McCollum said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My husband recently passed away from leukemia. His ex-wife contacted my and said I owe her 20,000 in life insurance for her children. Their divorce agreement from 1986 stated that he would carry 20,000 life insurance for his minor children on his existing policy.
He lost his job in 1987 and had no life insurance for some time.
I was the only beneficiary on his recent policy. Since this is a not the same policy do I have to somehow come up with 20,00 to pay her? She has one daughter at home who's 17.

My response:

The money is yours. You do not have to give any of your money to anyone.

However, she can sue his Estate for breach of contract - - which, in reality means that if she wins, money will be coming out of your pocket.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">